Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ball-Jointed Doll Parts

I keep saying that I want to keep this first SD BJD simple. How simple is simple? I've been working on these diagrams for awhile now, and I feel that I finally have enough to show.






This diagram shows 13 points of articulation, which is about the minimum number for a contemporary BJD to be considered a BJD. The torso is in one piece. That means the doll would probably have to be a small one, since not much of a core for it could be molded if it was cast in resin. If it was too large, it would weigh too much. A one-piece torso is viable for hand-built dolls, where the body is molded over a removable core. Note that the head has a minimum of two parts, because a skull cap allows the doll's eyes to be changed, and this ability seems to be a fundamental one in contemporary BJDs.





This doll has 14 points of articulation, and can be made larger because the torso is in two parts, meaning a larger core can be molded, making the torso much lighter in weight. This is probably the least number of parts for a doll that will be cast in molds. This is how I'm making my BJD.





This doll has 15 points of articulation. The torso has three parts.




This doll has 17 points of articulation. The upper legs have swivel joints.





This doll has 21 points of articulation with the addition of double-jointed elbows and knees.





Finally, this doll has had some extra shoulder pieces added to give the arms a wider range of motion. I'm not really sure if this is counted as an extra point of articulation, but if it is, this doll has 23 points of articulation.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice article. Will there be any information later on what type of movement certain joints can make?

    What is the purpose of the middle midsection of the 3-piece torso?

    How do the swivel joints for the upper legs affect the movement in a way the ball joints wouldn't?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. I will try to put as much information as I can on this weblog, including the range of motion of the joints that I make for my BJD.

    The purpose of the middle section in a 3-piece torso is to give the BJD more articulation in the torso.

    Swivel joints allow rotation when the elastic is in the slot of the ball joint.

    I am by no means an expert on BJDs. I am figuring it out as I go along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very handy.

    Folks like you, who figure things out and share, are wonderful. You make it so much simpler for those who follow after, like me - I'm just starting my own doll. So thank you, very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome. I'm figuring it out as I go along. I try to do a little bit of work on my dell every day.

    ReplyDelete

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.