Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Filling-In




I do a little work on my BJD every day. Not every day is as productive as another. Today I didn't do enough to warrant a photograph because the changes were so small, they probably wouldn't even show up in a photograph. I'm mainly working around the knees and the ankles. As I'm filling-in small holes and smoothing out rough spots, I'm always thinking about what needs to be done, and how to do it. Filling-in is a good way to think about the BJD.

Modeling wax over cereal box cardboard armatures isn't the only way to go about making a BJD. One very fine doll artist is currently modeling Air-Dry clay over a styrofoam core. She cut the styrofoam outline of the figure with a hot wire foam cutter, then filed and sanded it. Then she rolled out slabs of Air-Dry clay to cover the styrofoam core. Before the Air-Dry clay had completely hardened, she cut the joints.

I happen to have a jig-saw type hot wire foam cutter in my studio, so I thought that I'd show a couple of pix of it here. It cost about five dollars (for the transformer), and the rest of the materials were in my studio. I used an old chess board for the table. 1x4s were nailed together for the base. A turnbuckle tensions the hot wire. The wire is regular wire, not nichrome wire. It has an ON/OFF switch and a fuse.














Use adequate ventilation when using a hot wire foam cutter. The wire gets hot enough to melt through the styrofoam, and the fumes of melting styrofoam aren't good for you!

I can't put my hands on the plans I used to build mine, but I googled for hot wire foam cutter and found this nice web page which covers the basics, and has some links to other hot wire foam cutter sites as well.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.