Sunday, September 19, 2010

Shrinkage Test




Yesterday, I cast some doll composition slip into a plaster mold that I had scratched two marks inside, one inch apart. This morning I baked the casting in the toaster oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit, for two hours, per the instructions on the jar of slip. After removing the casting from the oven, and letting it cool, I measured the marks again, and got 15/16ths of an inch. I highlighted the raised marks with a Sharpie permanent marker, so they would be easier to photograph.

I can expect about 1/16th of an inch shrinkage per inch. My 24 inch wax doll will be about 22.5 inches tall after being cast in doll composition slip. I can live with that. If not, I can always add 1.5 inches to my wax parts, distributing that over the legs and torso, in order to end up with a 24 inch doll.

The baked composition slip casting is a light pink color.












Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.