Saturday, October 2, 2010

FANTASIATION at Doll and Teddy Bear Expo 2010

Today I went to the Doll & Teddy Bear Expo 2010.

First of all, I saw the Magical Marionette Theatre,
by Patricia Cabrera and Family.
They put on a show of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
The ages of the puppeteers were 9, 11, 12, and 14.
They did a terrific job, for kids!
Patricia designed and made all the marionettes.

After the show, I went down to the Doll Exposition floor.
There were so many dolls!
I did not take my ancient digital camera with me, so I do not
have any photos to share, but I do have a link to the website
of a very talented doll artist I met at the show: Alba Garcia.

She has the most beautiful and original BJDs at the show!
FANTASIATION
They are also very reasonably priced!

The BJDs in person are much more beautiful than the photos
on the web page, believe me! She sculpts them in Castilene,
and casts them in PolyTek 95 resin. All her resin casts are
hand-tinted. Her husband does all the silicone rubber molding.
All the silicone molds are put in a vacuum chamber, and the
resin casts are put in a pressure pot.

These are very finely crafted resin BJDs!

I wasn't surprised to find out that Alba has a background in
animation and film-making, two of the most detail-oriented
contemporary arts in existence! Her BJDs show an attention
to detail that only a fine artist like Alba can bring to doll making.




I also had a chance to talk to the President of Jones Publishing.
Joe Jones said he was not aware that there was a problem with
publishing Martha Armstrong-Hand's Learning To Be A Doll Artist.
He told me that he would look into it.

Besides Joe, I also talked to another doll book publisher, and it
was surprising to find out that they didn't even know about the
Yoshida Style Ball-Jointed Doll Making Guide by Ryo Yoshida.
This is one of the most cited books by contemporary BJD makers!
Considering the lack of books about making BJDs in the doll book market
at the present, it isn't surprising that the publishers are completely
out-of-touch with what is happening.

It was quite obvious at the show that BJDs are the up and coming
thing in doll making. BJDs were everywhere! Sure, there were the
traditional types of dolls, that most people associate with dolls...
you know, the ones with porcelain heads, hands, and feet, and cloth bodies?
The BJDs were, by far, much more interesting than any of those dolls.

I got to hold a 32 inch tall Lusion Doll made by Dollmore. She was really
quite amazing. She was cast in resin, and weighed 9 pounds. She
appeared to be a girl of about 13 years old. I could easily go for a BJD
this size! Her price tag at the show was $1200.

I stopped and talked to people at several booths. I really enjoyed
my visit to the booth of two sisters that were knitting and crocheting
for BJDs. I mentioned Ravelry, and they didn't know about it, so I wrote
it down for them.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

2 comments:

  1. I knew you'd love the Lusion doll! Maybe one day I'll be able to call her my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so good to see you at the Expo, kyriearashi. It was also fun to see your Pullip and Pukipuki again. They are the perfect size to take with you.

    Yes, that Lusion doll is the bees knees! It was so much fun to be able to hold her, and to have a look at her, close-up. She looked really good, even with a minimal face-up.

    ReplyDelete

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.