Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Plaster Mold Making Tool - Vibrator




The Plaster Mold Making Vibrator is bolted to the side of my plaster molding table with the Formica table top. It is a small used motor that I purchased at a yard sale, many years ago for about $5. Any 1/4 or 1/3 horsepower electric motor will work.






The part that makes the electric motor vibrate the table is the eccentric steel disk that is fastened to the shaft of the motor. How it works is, my mold is ready to pour, the plaster is mixed and ready to pour, I plug in the motor and it vibrates the table while I pour the plaster. The vibration helps the plaster flow over every part in the mold box, and it also minimizes bubbles.






This is a diagram of the steel disk with the off-center (eccentric) hole for the shaft of the motor. It is this eccentric disk that makes the vibration. Since the motor is firmly bolted to the molding table, the table and everything on it also vibrates.


For more vibration, offset the hole for the shaft more. This tool is also useful for pouring any liquid into a mold that would benefit from being vibrated while poured.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

2 comments:

  1. Every time I read your blog, I am amazed at your ingenuity and knowledge!!! and thoroughness. thankyou for posting your progress and ideas, it is so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome! I'm happy to know that you are finding something useful here.

    ReplyDelete

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.