Monday, November 22, 2010

Moulage Molds










Many years ago I purchased some moulage. Moulage is a hot molding compound that is reusable. Heat it up in a double boiler and pour it or brush it onto your model to make the mold. A mother mold can be made with plaster bandages. These moulage molds are suitable for casting plaster or wax. When finished with the mold, cut it into pieces and store it in a tightly sealed container, so that it does not dry out. I use a glass jar that has a rubber gasket, and a wire catch to store my moulage. Even though I have not used my moulage in several years, it was good when I took it out last night and melted it in a double boiler. I just added a little bit of water to it. After melting it, I poured it into a large plastic bowl and let it cool. Then I cut it up and put it back in the glass jar. This is an amazing mold making material, and it is inexpensive because it is reusable. I am going to try and incorporate it into my doll making process.

One of the nicest things about moulage is that it doesn't stick to anything, not even itself.
One of the most annoying things about moulage is that it must be heated and melted to use it.
It is great for casting plaster and wax, and it can be reused. It is relatively inexpensive.

Moulage can be purchased at Dick Blick.

Douglas and Sturges makes the moulage.

Moulage instructions PDF 6.3K.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.