Sunday, December 12, 2010

Carving Wax Head and Skull Cap



The cast carving wax head.






I've coarse sanded the seam between the head and the skull cap.






The fit is nice and tight.


Molding this carving wax head in moulage gives me a good idea of how far to finish the brown wax head before I make a rough shell mold for casting it in carving wax, before I smooth everything for making the final slip casting molds. I will also be able to experiment with different techniques of working the carving wax, and smoothing it before I work on the head for the final doll. I'm figuring it out as I go. I have not decided yet if it will be a good idea to make the rough shell molds in plaster or moulage? If I make them in plaster, I'll have a better idea of where the parting lines will be for each piece. If I make the rough shell molds with moulage, I can use it over and over again. I'll decide that when the time comes. I have choices.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.