Thursday, December 16, 2010

Rough Shell Mold of Lower Leg Part 1




I try to do a little work on my doll every day. Little by little, it all adds up. I'm figuring it out as I go along. Today I started working on the rough shell mold for the old lower leg. I traced around the lower leg onto a piece of cereal box cardboard, then cut it out, and trimmed it until the cardboard fit around the leg. I used the cardboard cutout as a build-up. I fastened the cardboard cutout to the leg with some wax pellets, then put some coils of oil clay around the bottom of the build-up to fill in the spaces. I made a coddle from some more cardboard, and taped it together with some masking tape. Then I put some pieces of 2x2 around the edges and put a rubber band around everything to hold it together. I mixed the plaster 2:3, water to plaster, let the plaster slack, then mixed it by hand until it was creamy. I turned on the vibrator and poured the plaster. I got the first half of the mold done today. Here's a picture of the first half. Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

2 comments:

  1. wow is so smooth and bubble free...:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to make the build-up as smooth as possible.
    I let the plaster slack completely.
    I try not to introduce air into the mix when I am stirring it.
    I pour the mixed plaster into the coddle in a steady stream.
    Practice, practice, practice.
    Mold making is a craft skill, and requires practice.

    ReplyDelete

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.