Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Clay Build-Up Nº 1 : Feet




Today I'm working on making a clay build-up for the feet. A clay build-up is used to divide a multi-piece mold along the parting line(s). I will be using these molds to cast carving-wax feet. I've procrastinated long enough. As you can see from the photo, I made a couple of wood molding boards and coated them with a couple of coats of orange shellac. This makes it easier for me to pick the feet up and turn them around when I'm adding clay. I'm using oil-clay for the build-up because that is what I have available in the studio right now. Using oil-clay, I don't have to worry about it drying out if I set it down and forget about it for a few days. Likewise with the wax feet. Plus, the oil-clay and the wax are reusable, a property that rates high on my scale of good sculpture materials.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.