Saturday, March 26, 2011

Shopping Finds




The first shopping find, at Tuesday Morning, was a fully articulated Liv doll for $9.99 (retails for $19.99). Contents: 1 Doll, 1 Fashion, 1 Hairbrush, and 1 Pair of Eyeglasses. Liv is articulated at the head, the lower torso (2-part torso), shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips, knees (double-jointed knees), and ankles. She is not tensioned with elastic, but has hinged joints. She is about 12 inches tall from the bottom of her shoes to the top of her wig. The wig is removable, but she has short yellow hair molded on the vinyl head. The box says her wig is changeable, and it is, but it is held in place with a plastic pin/plug that fits into a hole in the back of her head. Her body and limbs are plastic. Her Fashion included earrings, bangle, shoes, skirt (velcro-type fastener), and blouse (velcro-type fastener). The head is disproportionately large compared to the body. The hands and feet are disproportionately small compared to the body. There are visible seam lines on the plastic parts. She can stand on her feet without a doll stand. This is a nice toy for the price I paid for it. The packaging recommends age 5+. She has a website: LIVWORLD. I doubt I would have paid full retail price for her. However, I do think I will be able to get at least $10.74 ($9.99 + tax) worth of fun with her.




This is a view of her standing up at my work table.






This is a view of her hip joints, double-jointed knees, and ankle joints. She is not anatomically correct. Her hips are made of white plastic. She has an immature upper torso (small breasts).






This is a view of her elbow and wrist joints.






This is a closeup of her face.






This is a comparison photo of Liv and an articulated Barbie. The Barbie is not articulated at the wrists or ankles.






The fun didn't stop with Liv. At the Thrift store, I found a genuine leather handbag for $3.00,






Of course, as soon as I got home, I had to cut it apart, to see how much doll shoe leather I got.





That is quite a bit of doll shoe leather. Here is a shot of my current leather stash which I'm collecting for making doll shoes for Aalish.



Even with a flash, the quality of that picture isn't very good. Sorry about that. I do the best I can with my ancient digital camera. The picture shows the pieces of handbag leather laid out on top of a rather large piece of cowhide. I am thinking that I will be able to use the handbag leather for the uppers, and the thick hide for the soles of the doll shoes. At least I have some materials to play around with now. Now, I can start learning how to make doll shoes !!!




But that's not all! I also got an old Vogue Knitting magazine (c.1987) for $0.25 cents, and a hardback copy of Sewing Made Easy by Dorothy Sara with revisions by Irene Gora (Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1969) for $1.50. The back cover states that it is a complete sewing library in one volume, covering every phase of its subject from dressmaking to sewing for the home.











Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.