Friday, March 25, 2011

Studio Clean-Up




Today was studio clean-up day. Making plaster molds is always a messy operation, and I am usually too beat to clean-up right after I make a mess. I've posted before and after pictures of my mold making studio, in previous posts, so I don't see any need to do it again. Suffice it to say that cleaning the studio is not one of the more glamorous activities associated with making ball jointed dolls.

I ran out of plaster making this last plaster/moulage mold. I am happy that I decided to make the three-piece mold, otherwise I would not have had enough plaster to finish the mold. As it was, I had just enough plaster to make this mold.

I called the local building supply store and asked them how much a 100 pound bag of plaster was going for these days. They told me that it was going for $34.00. That works out to be about $0.36 cents per pound, once tax is added. Plaster is still a very good value for a mold making material.

I still want to mold and cast some carving wax arms and hands for Carving Wax Test Doll. I may use my moulage to do those molds. At least the hot-melt moulage is reusable. All I need to get is one casting of the arms and hands, so the moulage may be just the material to use. Also, a moulage mold does not require much mold preparation, so I won't have to spend a lot of time making clay build-ups.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.