Monday, April 11, 2011

Wood Mother Mold For Moulage Nº 4




After sealing the inside of the mother mold with orange shellac, and letting it dry completely, I clamped the mold halves together and prepared to pour the moulage. Since the lower arms are for Carving Wax Test Doll, I used one of the lower arms to make the spare for the other lower arm. I twisted a drill bit through it, and inserted a dowel to be used as a stop, so I would not push the wax arm to the very bottom of the moulage mold. Instead of making a build-up, I decided to just insert the pattern into the moulage, trying to keep it centered in the mold.






I used a double boiler to melt the moulage. When it was ready, I poured it into the wooden mother mold, stopping about 1/4 inch (6 mm) from the top of the mold. Then I inserted the wax lower arm at an angle, into the moulage, twisting it as I inserted it, so moulage would fill the concave wrist socket at the bottom of the lower arm. Then I straightened the arm, and pushed it slowly into the moulage until the wood dowel hit the top of the mold. I centered the lower arm in the mold as best as I could.






This is a close-up of the brown wax lower arm, inserted into the moulage mold. Note that I had placed a plastic bag under the mother mold to catch any overflow of the moulage. Nothing overflowed, but there was just a wee bit mor moulage than what was needed. No problem, because when the moulage sets up, I can cut the excess off.






I went to eat some supper while the moulage was setting up. I always find something else to do when a mold is setting up, otherwise I hover and poke at it too much. It sets up better when I am far away from the mold. Once it set up, I removed the clamps, and used my paring knife to open the halves of the mother mold.






Then I used the paring knife to cut part way through the moulage. Then I broke the mold the rest of the way to expose the brown wax pattern of the lower arm inside.






After removing the brown wax pattern, I have a two-piece moulage rough shell mold for casting carving wax lower arms for Carving Wax Test Doll.






Then I put the two halves of the mold together, and prepare the mold for casting.



Right now, the carving wax is melting in the wax pot. The moulage mold is clamped together. I will try to pour at least two sets of lower arms from this mold (four castings, total).




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.