Sunday, June 12, 2011

Head






Today I watched the Philippe Faraut video about sculpting heads (Volume 2) that was loaned to me. After watching the video, I went down to my studio and gathered up all of my oil clay, and cleaned it up. It turns out that I have almost three pounds of oil clay! I did not realize I had that much. Anyway, it is my opinion that I cannot learn how to sculpt a head by watching a video. However, what a video can do for me, is to familiarize me with all the parts of the head, and how they relate to one another, as well as some basic methods for modeling those parts.

One special feature of the Philippe Faraut Volume 2 video is the section where he does a series of 5-minute heads. These heads are done quickly, starting with the head of an infant. He does not start a new head from scratch each time, but changes the existing head in front of him to make a different head. Once the infant has all the main volumes modeled (without details), he changes the head to make it older. Then he works on some ethnic changes. The older child becomes an African. The African becomes an American Indian. He goes for generic looks, and he moves fast. He goes for volumes, not details. He says not to get attached to anything. Do not be afraid of the clay. Don't be afraid to experiment. Force yourself to change the clay. The exercise is meant to be fun and fast.

Yeah, so I'm going to try and do this 5-minute head exercise, and see what I can do with it. I will try to remember to take some photos along the way.

I guess that is another thing about watching a sculpting video.... it can be inspirational when some inspiration is needed. I was getting bogged down with the brown wax head of Aalish. I am hoping that this 5-minute head exercise will help me to relax and loosen up. I really need to loosen up !!!




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.