Saturday, July 16, 2011

Knees Nº 2




Edited to add: In this post I am making a hot-pour moulage mold in order to cast a wax ball to use for a ball-jointed doll. I made a coddle from four pieces of cereal box cardboard, cut about 5cm high. The corners of the cereal box are already folded. I used masking tape to fasten the four pieces together around the oil clay build-up.






I forgot to take pictures of the moulage being melted and poured, but there are other posts which show that being done. Here are the two halves of the moulage piece mold with the first carving wax ball poured. I used the cereal box cardboard coddle as a band to fasten the two halves of the mold together for pouring. I just lucked out for this mold. The coddle worked perfectly, fastened around the mold with a pair of hemostats. When the wax thickens enough, I pour the excess back into the wax pot, and then I take the mold to the studio sink to take the casting out of the mold.






I fill the hollow casting with cold water to help it cool down, and I run water over the mold when I am slowly opening it. Then I put the casting in a cup of cool water while I dab excess water from the two halves of the mold, using some toilet paper. After the excess water is dabbed out, I replace the cardboard band around the mold, clamp it together, and take the mold back to pouring area, next to the wax pot.






After pulling six castings from this mold I had to stop because I ran out of time. So much to do, so little time. I do have a life, and there are other people in my life, and I enjoy spending some time with them. So here are the six castings I pulled from the mold I made today. I made four carving wax balls, and two brown wax balls.





Finally, I cut the moulage mold into pieces and put the pieces in a container with a lid, so they won't dry out. The moulage is reusable, so I can make more molds with the same material. In the long run, being able to use and reuse my materials is very economical.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.