Sunday, July 10, 2011

Paper Towel Sloper




Today I made a masking tape dress form over the torso of my Liv doll Katie, a playline articulated doll made by Spin Master Ltd. Liv doll Katie is 11-5/8ths inches tall (295 mm), from her feet to the top of her head, without a wig.






I used the dress form to make a Front Bodice Sloper using a paper towel. This method of making a sloper does not require any measurements or drafting.



I used small pieces of masking tape to hold the paper towel on the dress form while I was shaping it to the form. I started with the Front Middle Center Line that runs from the neck to the waist, and lined up the straight edge of the paper towel to that line. Then I used a small pair of sharp scissors to cut the paper towel around the neck. Next, I cut to the line between the middle of the neck and the top of the shoulder. Then I cut around the arm, from the top of the shoulder to the midpoint under the arm. Next I cut down the side middle line to the waist. Finally, I cut from the side to the front center line. I pinched the dart under the breast with my fingers, and taped it. Then I just kept snipping all around until the paper towel fit. It was easy, fast, and fun to do.

After I make a Back Bodice Sloper, I should be able to make a bodice muslin, to test the fit.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

2 comments:

  1. I love the dress form...very clever and probably makes dress making a lot faster...
    Love your blog!!
    Dessa Rae

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to make a dress form because I can mark on it, stick pins in it, and otherwise do things to it that I would not want to do to the doll. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.