Sunday, September 11, 2011

Cabriole Leg Thoughts




A cabriole leg has two shaped curves; one convex, and the other, concave. I remember seeing a demonstration of how a cabriole leg was cut out of a block of wood, using a bandsaw, when I was in a furniture design class in University, many years ago. Out of curiosity, I shaped a block of oil-clay, and cut it out with a knife, Then I shaped the outside with the knife.






The block of wood has a template of the cabriole leg drawn on two sides. First one side is cut. The cut part is re-attached to the block of wood, so the second side can be cut.






Then the second side of the block is cut, following the template.






The iside of the leg is refined with a spoke-shave.






The outside front of the leg is refined with a spoke shave.






The front outside of the leg may have elaborate carving, or be plain. The ball end of the leg may also have elaborate carving, such as a claw, holding the ball.



This is just a quick oil-clay sketch I made of a cabriole leg. Yesterday I found a doll house furniture making book which has sparked this interest. I still have a ways to go to finish Aalish. I probably won't make anything for her until she is finished, but it is so easy for me to get distracted by all the things that can be made for her, such as wigs, clothes, shoes, accessories, and so forth.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.