Thursday, September 22, 2011

Lower Torso Carving Wax Casting




Melting the carving wax in an old aluminum pressure cooker pot. I always make sure to stir the carving wax thoroughly before pouring it because the talc settles to the bottom. I usually use little slabs of carving wax to stir with. That way, I don't have any tools that need to be cleaned.






The carving wax has been poured into the mold, and after letting it thicken, I poured it out into the wax pot. I had some trouble pouring the carving wax out of the mold. I made the spare was too small.






Sure enough, the spare was too small, and a vacuum was created when I was pouring the excess carving wax out of the mold, which collapsed the casting. Judging from the lines on the surface of the casting, the wax was poured too cold.






After cutting the collapsed casting in half, I can see that the spare was definitely too small, and the walls of the casting were too thick, probably due to the wax being too cold when it was poured.






So I put the mold back together again, put rubber bands around it, remelted the carving wax, and poured the lower torso again. I cut the spare opening to make it larger, and I poured the carving wax somewhat hotter than the first time. This time I got some success. I have now successfully translated the soft brown sculpture modeling wax into carving wax, which I can refine for the final molds.






The moulage is reusable. I chopped it up into cubes and put it back into the jars and sealed the jars with the lids. The moulage is now ready to be melted and poured to make a new mold.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.