Friday, September 16, 2011

Lower Torso Moulage Mold Nº 3




Today I opened the 5 pound container of Moulage I ordered awhile back. It was well sealed. I had to use an X-Acto knife to cut around the lid in order to loosen it. The lid has a rubber gasket in it, so everything inside was very moist.






This is what it looks like inside, right after opening the container.






I split the contents of the container into six Atlas Mason jars that have tight fitting lids. I will also use these jars to heat the moulage to melt it, by immersing them in hot water in a pot. I weighed each jar, then filled each one with two 10oz plastic cups of moulage, then weighed it again. I added the differences together and the total was 2274.3 grams. 2274.3 grams X 0.001 is 2.2743 Kilograms, and 2.2743 Kilograms X 2.205 is 5.01483 pounds. I ordered five pounds, and I got five pounds.



I weighed everything on an Ohaus triple beam balance. It is accurate to within 1/10th of a gram.

Mold Math

I need to get an estimate of how much moulage to melt so I can fill the coddle. I measured the coddle, and I made a rough estimate of the torso by stacking a couple of oval shapes on top of each other. These are the numbers on which I am basing my arithmetic



These are the calculations:

recl=6.75
recw=4.625
bumm=((4.5*3)*0.8)*2.5
tumm=((2.5*3)*0.8)*2.5
body=bumm+tumm
mold=recl*recw*6
cuin=mold-body
cuin
145.31250

First of all, the area of the mold rectangle is 6.75 inches by 4.625 inches, represented by recl and recw. The two oval shapes are 4.5 inches long by 3 inches wide for the bumm, and 2.5 inches wide by 3 inches long for the tumm. Each oval shape is 2.5 inches high.

The formula to figure out the area of an oval is L x W x 0.8.
Multiply the area by the height, and I get the cubic inches.
So the total cubic inches of the body is the tumm plus the bumm.

The area of the mold rectangle is the width X the length.
The cubic inches of the space inside the coddles is L x W x Height, which is 6 inches.

Finally, after figuring out the cubic inches of the space inside the coddles, and estimating the size of the lower torso, I subtract the body from the coddle space, and come out with the total cubic inches I need to fill with moulage. Did that make any sense? It took me a long time to figure it all out.

Once I have the total number of cubic inches I need to fill, I need to know how much moulage to melt. One cup (liquid) has 14.435 cubic inches in it. I have 145.3 cubic inches, so if I divide that total by 14.435, I get 10.06 cups of moulage that I need to melt. I just filled six jars with moulage, and the moulage is in very small pieces, so it looks like I will need to melt at least four or five jars of moulage?




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.