Saturday, September 10, 2011

Used-Book Store Finds




Most of the books on my bookshelves at home, and in my studio are non-fiction books. I like to think of books as tools in my tool chest. These two books, that I found at the local used-book emporium, are tools.



Design and make Your Own Dollhouse Furniture.
Headley Holgate & Pamela Ruddock.
NJ: Chartwell Books, 1993.
ISBN: 1555219233

All the furniture designs shown in this book are 1:12 scale doll house furniture designs. They are all too small for Aalish, who is a 1:3 scale BJD. The reason I added this book to my tool chest is because the authors have shown how to work with very small pieces of wood, in very precise ways, by making various jigs and fixtures to hold the pieces of wood while they are being formed, or being glued. Also, the finished pieces of furniture in this book, despite their small scale, all look very good. There are designs for furniture for the bedroom, kitchen, dining room, and living room. I believe that I will be able to scale these designs up from 1:12 to 1:3, modify them as necessary, and make some furniture for Aalish, after she is finished. I found this book for $3.90 USD.






Sculpture: a studio guide.
Lorraine Balmuth Widman.
NJ: Prentice Hall, 1989.
ISBN: 0137965907

This book is a very nice general sculpture studio guide. I already have several of these types of books in my studio library, so I added this one as a tool in my tool chest. Two things caused me to buy this book: one, the price was only $4.00 USD, and two, I really liked the illustrations. Other books that I already have in my studio, that are like this one are:

The Creation of Sculpture. Jules Struppeck. 1952.
The Materials and Methods of Sculpture. Jack C. Rich. 1947.
The Sculptor's Way. Brenda Putnam. 1948.
Sculpture, A Basic Handbook for Students. Ronald L. Coleman. 1968.
Sculpture Casting. Donna Meilach and Dennis Kowal. 1969.
Sculpture, Inside and Out. Malvina Hoffman. 1939.
Sculpture, Principles and Practice. Louis Slobodkin. 1949.
Zorach Explains Sculpture. William Zorach. 1947.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.