Saturday, October 8, 2011

Making A Mold Knife




I am planning on making a block mold with the moulage. A tool that is very useful for cutting a block mold is a mold knife. This is a mold knife I made from an old hacksaw blade.






To make the mold knife, first I ground off the teeth for about an inch or so. Then I found an old screwdriver to use as a bar. I opened my bench vise up a little larger than the diameter of the bar. I positioned the ground part of the hacksaw blade over the gap in the vise, then positioned the bar over the gap, on top of the blade. I struck the bar with a hammer, and it went into the gap, making a hemisphere shape in the hacksaw blade. I finished it up with a file and some sandpaper.

Many thanks to Juli over at Just This and That weblog for telling me what a mold knife was.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.