Monday, October 3, 2011

Mold Arithmetic




I am thinking about making a block mold for the upper torso. It will be a moulage mold with a cereal box cardboard coddle. It always helps me to make a sketch of what I want to try to do.



I am estimating the volume of the coddle as an oval cylinder that is 4 inches by 5 inches by 7.5 inches high. The upper torso is estimated as an oval cylinder that is 3 inches by 4 inches by 5 inches high. The neck is about one cubic inch, more or less. So the volume of the coddle is about 120 cubic inches. The volume of the upper torso is about 48 cubic inches, plus one cubic inch for the neck, or 49 cubic inches. 120 - 49 = 71 cubic inches. Since I know how much a cubic inch of moulage material weighs, I should be able to melt the correct amount of moulage I need for this mold. I always melt a small percentage more, just in case.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

1 comment:

  1. A cubic inch of moulage weighs about 17.5 grams.

    ReplyDelete

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.