Saturday, October 22, 2011

Polymer Clay Skull




I have this box of Polymer Clay in my studio that I must have purchased over ten years ago. It is still very pliable, so I used it to make a skull. I have been wanting to model a skull for a very long time. I started by wadding up some newsprint into a ball, then covering it with some old aluminum foil. I inserted a bamboo skewer into the ball. The I put some slabs of polymer clay over the ball, and modeled it into a lighbulb shape. That was the base I used to make the skull.

I modeled this skull from memory, without looking at any anatomy book references. I just wanted to see how familiar I was with the anatomy of the skull. Well, I really need to study, it look s like. I baked this skull at 275 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour and a half in a toaster oven placed out on the porch. The old polymer clay baked nicely, and after a cool-down, was nice and hard.






I also made some polymer clay roses which were baked in the toaster oven for half an hour at 275 degrees Fahrenheit. They also turned into a hard plastic. I glued the roses to a small paper Nicho De Santos that I am making from cereal box cardboard, and covering with magazine clippings. It is a work-in-progress.



I also went to the local Dollar Tree today and found all sorts of little skulls and skeletons that I am going to glue into some nichos that are on the drawing board. This is a great time of the year to find skeletons, skulls, wigs, and other interesting things that can be used to make arts and crafts for your doll.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.