Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Repair Job




I beveled the inside lower edge of the upper torso so it would fit the lower torso better, but I trimmed too much off, and the fit was much worse. So I had to go back and repair it. A repair, in this case, meant to fill-in the beveled edge.

This is what I did. I have some old, used aluminum foil in the studio, so I tore off some of that, and flattened and smoothed it as well as I could, then I folded it over a couple of times to make it thicker. I used that piece as a dam on the inside of the torso. The dam was held in place with some pieces of oil clay on the inside of the torso.

I supported the upper torso, upside-down, in an oatmeal box with some plastic bags stuck in it. That left both of my hands free. With one hand, I held a scrap of carving wax, and with the other hand, I manipulated my 25W low-wattage soldering iron (my cheap wax pen). I was able to control exactly where the melted carving drops fell in the bevel, and I built it back up to the level it was before I trimmed it.

I only worked on a section at a time, then moved the aluminum foil dam to fill the next section. The section I filled in this photo is inside the red parentheses. Click on any photo to enlarge it.






After the carving wax cooled, I was able to easily peel the aluminum foil away from the carving wax. As you can see from this photo, the carving wax stuck to the lower torso, but not to the aluminum foil dam.



Overall, this technique for doing this kind of repair worked very well and was inexpensive, fast, and easy (all three !!!).




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.