Sunday, October 9, 2011

Upper Torso Moulage Mold




Today I made the moulage mold and poured the carving wax upper torso. I melted all five pounds of moulage, but only used about 4.25 pounds for the mold. After pouring the moulage, I let it set for several hours, covered with a plastic bag, to keep it moist. When it was cool, I removed the coddle and used the mold knife to cut the mold in the front and in the back. The mold knife makes a very nice registration key for the two halves of the mold. After cutting the mold, I removed the clay spare and the brown wax upper torso. Then I put the mold back together again, and replaced the cardboard coddle. Click on any image to enlarge it.






The moulage mold, ready for pouring carving wax. I am melting the carving wax in the old aluminum pressure cooker pot on the hot plate. I always melt more wax than I think I will need. I try to keep an eye on the melt so it doesn't get too hot.






The carving wax poured into the spare of the upper torso very easily, due to the large opening. I wish I always had an opening this big. After the wax thickened sufficiently, I poured the excess wax back into the wax pot.






The carving wax in the wax pot was poured into a water-saturated plaster mold. I always dab out the excess water before I pour molten wax into a water-saturated plaster mold.






To make it easier to melt the carving wax in the future, I score it with a knife once it has solidified, but while it is still soft. The carving wax will break into small pieces very easily, along the score lines.






I take the casting to the sink, and fill it up with cold tap water. This helps the casting cool quicker. Since the casting is still hot, I change the water inside of the casting when it gets warm. I just tip the mold over and empty the warm water into the sink, then fill the casting with more cold tap water.






This is a shot of the moulage mold being opened. It is very easy to see the registration keys created by the mold knife I made.






The opened moulage mold with the carving wax casting removed.






The upper torso carving wax casting beside the brown wax upper torso.






Finally, the moulage mold needs to be cut up and put back in jars with tight lids, so it does not dry out. Moulage is reusable.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I adore your blog it's so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words, Danae. It is nice to know that someone finds it helpful. (^_^)

    ReplyDelete

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.