Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Working With Carving Wax




I have a lot of work to do on the upper torso. All I can do is one thing at a time. This is repeated over and over until I don't feel like there is anymore to do. Here is a close-up of the upper torso, showing some minor surface pockets. Click any image to enlarge it.






My photography is not the best, so I have pointed to the blemishes with arrows.






In this phot I have filled in the blemishes with carving wax. I used an alcohol lamp, a metal wax working tool, and a carving wax trimming from the spare I trimmed off. I heat the tool over the flame of the alcohol lamp, then i touch the tool to the blemish, so that the wax in the blemish melts. Then I touch the carving wax trimming to the tool, and let a drop of carving wax fill the blemish. After each fill, I wipe the tool off on some newsprint before heating it over the alcohol lamp again. By melting the base wax, then adding molten wax to it, the filled blemish is solid with the upper torso, and cannot be knocked off.






After I have filled several blemishes, I take my paring knife and scrape each filled blemish down to match the surface of the carving wax upper torso.






These are some of the tools I used to work on the carving wax. From left to right are the alcohol lamp (you can barely see the flame), the metal wax working tool, and the paring knife. What I forgot to put in the picture is the piece of carving wax trimming that I used to fill the blemishes.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.