Monday, November 21, 2011

Brown Wax Upper Legs Nº 4




This is a side view of what the leg looks like at this point. It has a single knee joint that can bend at about a 90 degree angle. The socket of the upper leg does not have any angles cut into the back of it, but is a full circle in contact with the ball of the lower leg. The ball of the lower leg is attached to the lower leg.







If the socket is deep, then the range of motion is less, but there is more contact area on the ball joint. If the socket is more shallow, there is more range of motion, but less contact area. I am going to guess that there is an optimum balance of the two, somewhere in there.



One other thing to keep in mind is that Martha Armstrong-Hand cast her carving wax doll parts without balls and sockets. She had other plaster ball molds to cast the carving wax balls which she welded to the doll parts, then carved the sockets. My doll parts have the balls cast in carving wax , attached to the parts. So I have to remember that I may have to cut the balls off the doll parts, and reposition them, if they do not work where I modeled them in brown wax.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.