Saturday, December 17, 2011

Decisions Decisions




One of the nice things about having a Hobby is that there are no hard and fast deadlines to meet. Sure, I make my own deadlines, but if I don't make them, nothing is lost. From what I understand about Martha Armstrong-Hand's method, she first sculpts the doll in oil-clay over a wire armature supported by a modeling stand. Then she removes the oil-clay sculpture from the modeling stand and cuts it apart at the head, arms, and legs, leaving the torso in one piece. This gives her six parts in oil-clay.



In #1 above, the oil-clay doll has been removed from the modeling stand, and the lines for cutting have been drawn. In #2 above, the cuts have been made, making six oil-clay doll parts.




Because oil-clay is so soft (which makes it an excellent modeling material), Martha made plaster molds of the oil-clay doll parts, then cast them into carving wax, as shown in #3.



In #4, the carving wax parts are further cut at the joints to facilitate making all the joints. In this example, there is a three-part torso, making a total of sixteen carving wax doll parts.




Each of the sixteen doll parts in #5 below, need a combination of balls and sockets for articulation.



In #6 above, the light green areas are where balls will be added to the carving wax doll parts. Martha had separate molds for casting carving wax balls of different sizes. Sockets are indicated by dotted lines.




In #7 below, the dark green areas denote where sockets are added. The light green areas are where carving wax balls were welded to the carving wax doll parts.



The main difference between the method used by Martha, and the method I used, was that I made all the doll parts separately, using cardboard armatures and modeling wax. Now I am thinking that it might be a good idea to put the limbs together, and model them in one piece, instead of trying to model them in individual pieces. I am looking for a better form than the one I have now. Then, once I have the limbs modeled, I will mold them in moulage and cast them in carving wax. Then I will cut the limbs apart and add carving wax balls to the limbs. This is what I have been deliberating now for such a long time. It was hard to make up my mind about this. That is why it took so long.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there :) I'm just taking a quick look at your blog, and wanted to tell you how great is to see someone researching and experimenting with something with such deep and enthusiasm. Passionate people are hard to find :) This post in particular I find really useful, because I intend to do a puppet with a ball joint structure but I don't know where to begin haha, I have no idea on puppets or baal joint dolls haha. This is the type of puppet I want to create, and this video was my inspiration too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9x5SS5uROY&feature=related Take a look at it, you'll probably like it :) Thanks for the blog!!

    ReplyDelete

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.