Monday, January 9, 2012

01 Ideas And Planning Nº 5




Image Source


I think I have just about covered everything I need to do as far as ideas and planning are concerned? The main things are creating and developing a character for the doll, deciding the size of the doll, and what materials are going to be used to make the doll and finish the doll.

With this third ball-jointed doll I am going to use oil-clay as a modeling material. The oil-clay will be modeled over a wire armature, supported by a modeling stand. I will be modeling the doll in one piece, then later cutting her apart to make molds. I am planning on making hot-pour moulage waste molds in order to cast carving wax patterns. Then I will refine the carving wax patterns in order to make plaster slip casting molds, in order to pour doll composition slip for the finished doll. These same plaster molds can be used to make a porcelain doll if I want to do that.

The doll is going to be a 1/3rd scale doll, with one inch equaling one centimeter. The proportions of the doll will be seven heads tall. Since an average 14 year old girl is about five feet three inches tall (63 inches), my finished doll should be about 63 centimeters, or between 24 and 25 inches tall. Because I am interested in using my doll as a fashion doll, I think this will be a good size to make clothing for.

As far as creating a character, I chose to make a character from Lewis Carroll's Alice In Wonderland (1865), which is in the Public Domain. If I was going to create a character from scratch, I would start by asking myself many questions about who I want the doll to be. Some of the questions I might ask include: Gender? Age? Realistic or fantasy? What era does the character live in? What kind of personality does the character have? Build? Athletic, slim, fat, or dainty? Hair color? Eye color? Skin complexion? Clothed or nude? The more questions I can ask, and answer, the more developed the character becomes. Most of the questions that writers ask when developing a story can be used to develop a character for a doll. Often, the more detailed the character, the more the doll will seem, even if it is going to be a fantasy character.

This is a summary of everything I needed to do before I start the next step, which is drawing the doll I want to make.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.