Saturday, January 28, 2012

02 Drawing Nº 19




Today was a day of sleeping in late. In the afternoon I pruned three apple trees. I also cut down a cherry tree that was too near the fence. The base of this cherry tree was about five or six inches in diameter, so I hope it can be used for making some doll furniture. I will have to cut it up, and put it away to dry nicely. I formerly said it was a pear tree, but was corrected on that. I guess it was just wishful thinking.




Today I created a blank grid to use in Kolourpaint for sketching out some faces. This is the blank grid. I really like the way I can lasso things, and flip them around, to make things symmetrical, and so forth.






I followed a step-by-step method of drawing a face in profile, from Jack Hamm's book, Drawing the Head & Figure. It is a very mechanical method, but I enjoyed trying to do it in Kolourpaint, on the grid I made. I like to use the circle tool, the line tool, the pencil, and the brush, as well as the lasso tools.






This is the start of a front view of a face, from Jack Hamm's book. I've run out of time, so I'll continue it another time.






I would like to add that I found this figure drawing textbook at the local used-book emporium today.



Figure Drawing: The Structure, Anatomy, and Expressive Design of Human Form. 4th edition.
Nathan Goldstein.
NY: Prentice Hall, 1993.
ISBN: 0133192865

This book is totally different than Jack Hamm's book Drawing the Head & Figure. This seems to be a textbook for a college-level, life-drawing class. Instead of giving formulaic hints for drawing the figure, this book explains the principles of the structure, anatomy, and design of the figure. I think both books are useful. When first learning how to draw the figure, it is nice to have a tool chest of drawing rules-of-thumb to use, such as Hamm's book. I think this book goes more into depth about why the rules-of-thumb became rules. It is filled with drawings, diagrams, photos, and academic text descriptions. I got it because I am always looking for a Philosopher's Stone to help me integrate artistic anatomy with practical art work.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.