Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Embracing Failure Nº 2




Every failure is a new beginning with some fresh insights. I will probably make a mold record of these legs, so I modeled on them some more with warm softened wax and a wooden modeling tool.



I have already started to research the new working drawing. First of all, it is going to take total shrinkage into consideration, so the finished doll will be 60cm in height. Also, I am going to concentrate more on proportions. Finally, I would like for the form to be pleasing as well. I have much work to do.

I have been working on this Hobby BJD project now for about a year and a half. When I started out, I did not know anything at all about BJDs. The last year and a half has been a very enjoyable learning experience. Now I am going to try, one more time, to make a BJD; modeled in sculpture wax, refined in carving wax, and finished in doll composition slip.

I do not own a resin Asian Ball-Jointed Doll from any company in Asia or anywhere else. I wonder if that is an advantage, or a disadvantage? One thing I may do, this time around, is make some small test dolls from polymer clay. I will not expect them to be very durable, or to last very long; but they should be good for testing purposes. The polymer clay can be formed quickly, and baked hard in just a few minutes. Also, I just happen to have some old polymer clay in my studio. It must be over ten years old? However, it is still pliable, and it still hardens when baked. I don't know for sure if I will try this plan, but I am thinking about it. The little polymer clay test dolls will probably be about 8 to 10 inches tall.

Carving Wax Test Doll Nº 1 will probably be melted down to help make Carving Wax Test Doll Nº 2.

Yeah, so now I'm back at square one.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.