Sunday, March 4, 2012

03 Armature Nº 5




I am using rebar tie-wire to make my wire armature. Rebar tie-wire is available from building supply stores, like Lowes or Home Depot. It is about 1/16 inch in diameter, and comes in a coil that weighs about 3.5 pounds. 1/16 inch diameter is too thin to be used for anything except the fingers of the hands. What I am going to do is measure about 20 feet of wire, cut it, then double it over, so I have two strands about 10 feet long. I will use my electric drill to twist the two wires together. This is a photo of a spade drill bit clamped in a bench vise with the doubled wire looped around it. A nail would work just as well.






I insert the other ends of the wire in the electric drill chuck and close it tight around the wires. Then I pull the wire to put a slight tension on it, then I start the electric drill, twisting the two wires together. This is a photo of the twist in progress.



It would be much easier to do it like Tuck Langland showed in his book, where he used a hook in the electric drill, and clamped the loose ends of the wire in the vise. I could not find a hook, so I did it the way I did it. It works.




This is a photo of the electric drill with the twisted wire clamped in the drill chuck.






I did two strands together, and four strands together. Both started out about ten feet in length, and ended up about 114 inches (9.5 feet) in length.



The twist helps the oil-clay stay on the armature by giving it something to hold on to.

Today I ordered four 2-pound blocks of Prima Professional Grade Plastilina, All Natural, Sulfur-Free, Nº 2 Medium Grade, Natural (Tan) Color, from Dick Blick. It is supposed to be here sometime this week. I already have two 2-pound blocks of Prima Plastilina, so when this shipment arrives, I will have a total of 12 pounds of oil-clay. Oil-clay is reusable.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.