Thursday, March 8, 2012

03 Armature Nº 9




After the glue dries, I tape the tracing paper onto the block of wood. I could also use a glue stick, or even rubber cement, but the tape was handy, so I used it. This is the side view, taped in place.






This is the front view, taped in place.






This is the side view after cutting it out on the small bench bandsaw I have in my studio. After cutting, I taped the tracing paper back into place because the bandsaw cut through it.






This is the back view of the first bandsaw cut. I re-taped the front view of the tracing paper. I leave the waste material on the block, so it will support the head when I am making the second cut.






This is after the second cut with the bandsaw.






This is what the side view looks like after I removed the waste wood from the block.






This is the front view, after the waste material has been removed.






This is the top view of the head. I will shape it to be more narrow in the front, using my sander.






There are other ways to cut out complex shapes from a block of wood, if you do not have a bench bandsaw. Using a handsaw, cut saw kerfs down to the line, then knock off the remaining wood between the kerfs with a wood chisel. A wood rasp can be used instead of a bench sander to round sharp edges. A rough texture is better to hold the clay anyway.



I will follow this same procedure to make the wood armature part for the torso. I also will seal all the wooden parts of the armature with shellac or primer.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.