Wednesday, March 28, 2012

04 Modeling Nº 6




Since the whole armature is supported at the pelvis, that is where I am going to start modeling. After establishing the pelvis, I will work up and down from there. The first thing I do is add coils of clay to the armature.

Since my oil-clay is brand new, I knead it in my fingers until it is soft and doesn't crack when I squeeze it. Then I roll it out into a long coil. I try to make the coil as even as I can. Then I fold the coil in half and cut it with my paring knife. I have two identical pieces of clay that are the same size.

I apply these coils to the armature, one piece to each side. I place each coil, then press it firmly onto the armature. I keep doing this until I have covered the pelvic area of the torso. Click on the image to enlarge it.






This is a front view of the coils added to the pelvic area.






This is a side view.






This is the back view. You can see where the back iron enters the pelvis.






This is the other side view.






I use one of the tools I made from paint brush handles as a rake. I use the rake to blend the coils to each other. A rake can also be purchased from a sculpture supply house, but I prefer to make my own little tools. I sanded the end of the paint brush handle to a sharp edge, then used the edge of a half-round file to make the notches.






This is an in-progress snapshot of the coils being blended together with the rake.






This is the front view, after using the rake to blend the oil-clay coils together.






This is a side view.






This is the back view.



At the beginning, this is what I will be doing, until the entire armature is covered with coils of oil-clay and the coils are blended together with the rake. At that point I will inscribe the center lines and other reference lines in the oil-clay to prepare for more modeling on top of the foundation that I have made.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.