Monday, April 16, 2012

04 Modeling Nº 25




One thing that I am concerned about is that the arms seem too long. Every time I work on my figure, the arms just look like they are too long. Using my calipers, I measure where the tip of the longest finger should be, from the baseline, on the working drawing. I worked a long time on this working drawing, until I felt that the proportions were exactly how I wanted them to be, so I feel like I can trust my working drawing.






Then I take that caliper measurement over to the figure, and test the length of the arms with the calipers. See? They are the the same. I am going to leave the arms just the way they are, for now. Perhaps the reason they look too long is because I only have the wire armature covered with clay, and maybe I just need to add some more clay to the arms for them to start looking right.






The way I made the wire armature allows me to remove the arms from the armature, in order to work on the arms and hands without the figure getting in the way.






Also, I can remove the arms to work on the torso of the figure, without the arms getting in the way.






The arms just slide back in their holes when I am finished working on them for the day. I press them lightly to get them to stay in place.



I double checked the rules of proportion against my working drawing, and my figure, and the arms are the correct proportion. There is a bone that can be felt at the top of the shoulder (acromion process of scapula). From that bone to the elbow should be about one and one half head lengths (about 15cm on my figure). From the elbow to the first knuckle of the hand should be another one and one half head lengths. I really like rules of proportion that use bones that can be seen or easily felt, as measuring points.

So the length of the arms on my working drawing and on my figure is the correct proportion. It doesn't look right, but I am going to leave it the way it is, for now.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.