Saturday, April 21, 2012

04 Modeling Nº 30




I added some oil-clay to the front top of the legs. In this case, I held a coil of clay in my left hand, and pinched off pieces of clay to add to the figure. With practice, it is fairly easy to pinch off small pieces of clay that are the same size. I did it this way because I feel that I am getting close to where I want to be in this area of the figure. When I am adding large amounts of clay, to build-up an area quickly, I like to use coils of oil-clay. I have removed the arms so they don't get in my way.






I used a wooden rake tool to blend the added clay together.






I really enjoy seeing people's studios or work spaces. This is a snapshot of my basement studio. During the day, this is the brightest corner in the whole basement. All the windows in the basement are covered with plastic because the basement windows are not very tight. I prefer to work in a space without too many drafts. I try to keep my studio floor swept clean so that when I drop clay on the floor, I can pick it up without it being covered with dust, lint, sawdust, and whatever else can be on the floor of a studio.



On the left is a sculpture modeling stand with a one half inch thick piece of glass on top. The arms of the figure are there in this shot. I usually roll out coils of oil-clay on the glass. To the right of that modeling stand is my cardboard box with an incandescent light on top, warming my oil-clay. Above the box is another fixture, clamped to a piece of wood that is screwed into the window frame. Another modeling stand is to the right of that, with the figure I am working on, on a modeling stand. To the right of that is my easel, with the working drawing on it.

Both of my modeling stands are made from ancient stands that were once parts of floor fans. Both of them are adjustable in height, and both of the wooden boards on top, rotate. They do not have wheels, so they stay in place, and are very sturdy. My easel was made from scrap 1x4 inch lumber. It can pivot to different angles, and the rest for the canvas frame can be raised or lowered. Most of the tools and equipment in my studio has been hand made or adapted from found objects.

Behind the easel, on the other side of a bookcase, is my little 2D animation studio. I made a rotating pegged animation disc that fits in an old drafting table. Next to the animation desk is an old computer with a used flat bed scanner attached to it. I hand draw little animations, ink them by hand, then scan the drawings into the computer. I finish the animations in the computer.

I have a whole basement for my studio. All the above studio stuff is in one of four rooms in the basement. The other three rooms have my other studios in them, including jewelry and metal casting, woodworking, and my library/computer room. All my messes stay down in the basement.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.