Friday, May 11, 2012

04 Modeling Nº 49




This image is a 180 degree turnaround of an art model's legs. It is difficult to find a good multiple-view photo reference of a model standing flat footed, in good lighting. This is one of the best ones I've found. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I took the above image and marked it up with some notes of the areas that I think I need to pay attention to when modelling the legs on my oil-clay figure. It is easy to see how the silhouette of the leg changes as the model is revolved.



The knee is particularly tricky for me, for some reason. The main boney landmark is the kneecap in the front. On the female there are fatty pads below and above the kneecap. The shin bone shows on the front, inside of the leg. At the top of the shinbone there is a boney point, below the fatty pads. At the bottom of the shinbone, the end point is the inside ankle bone. The calf muscle on the upper part of the back of the lower leg smooths out into the ankle area of the lower leg. The thigh muscles have many different curves as the model rotates. Most of these curves are caused by various large muscles which connect the thigh and the pelvis. Everything is connected. The trick is to figure out how all these connections influence the surface of the figure.

In the end, I must decide how much detail I will give this figure. Once I have finished modelling in oil-clay, the figure will be removed from the armature stand, cut apart, molded, then cast in carving wax. Furthermore, much of the detail in areas that will be getting ball joints, will be cut away, and carving wax balls and sockets will be added. So as far as making a doll is concerned, spending too much time on detail in the joint areas doesn't make too much sense. On the other hand, I am having a lot of fun learning about the surface anatomy of the human figure. It is very important to always remember to Have Fun !!!




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.