Tuesday, May 29, 2012

04 Modeling Nº 67




As I mentioned in post Nº 65, the ear notch is an important measurement point. Click on any image to enlarge it.






There were several things that I did not catch at all during my first reading of Daisy Grubb's book. As a result of further reading, I have modified my Measurement Chart as follows:



1. Ear notch to ear notch
2. Ear notch to hairline
3. Hairline to chin
4. Ear notch to chin
5. Chin to brow (arc)
6. Chin to eye level
7. Outside corner of eye to outside corner of eye
8. Inside corner of eye to inside corner of eye
9. Chin to bottom of nose
10. Width of nose
11. Chin to middle of lips
12. Width of mouth
13. Ear notch to outside corner of mouth
14. Ear notch to outside corner of eye
15. Ear notch to tip of nose
16. Ear notch to under base of nose
17. Ear notch to middle of brow
18. Ear tip to ear tip
19. Width of cheek at widest point
20. Width of jaw at widest point
21. Pit of neck to ear notches
22. Pit of neck to chin
23. Tip of nose to back of head
24. Chin to top back of head (long diagonal)

Whereas my first measurement chart was just a chart of the various measurements in no particular order, this new Measurement Chart has a certain order which helps to establish the main masses of a portrait head being worked up from photographs and measurements on a stand-alone head armature mounted on a modeling board.

The ear notches are the first points established. They are marked with small pieces of wood. Edouard Lanteri suggests using wooden match sticks.

Daisy says that the basic masses can be built-up from the photos and the measurements before the live model comes to sit for the first portrait session. Of course, when working on a doll head from photographs, and not having a live model to work from, some of these measurements may not be used.

Many of these measurements are used to double check the relationships of the features of the head. They work by triangulation. Here again, all of this is used to get a portrait head roughed-in. Once that is done, the rest is done by eye.

All of this was done because I was curious how measurements and photographs are used by a professional portrait sculptor to model a likeness of someone in clay.

I think that I have learned some things that I may be able to use. I am figuring it out as I go along. Now I can return to the regular schedule of modeling posts.





Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.