Monday, June 18, 2012

04 Modeling Nº 87




I worked some more on the oil-clay practice ear I sketched yesterday.







This is the oil-clay practice ear compared to a plaster cast of my daughter's ear when she was eight years old. I always thought she had unusual ears, and that is probably why I molded one in dental alginate, then cast it in plaster.




I am modeling this practice ear in much more detail than the ears on my final doll will be modeled because I will be making a rigid plaster mold of the head, and I will not be able to make as many undercuts on the doll ear as are on the practice ear. If I were making a flexible silicone rubber mold, and casting resin, I might be able to make ears with more detail, and undercuts. The reason I am modeling these practice ears in detail is because I want to learn more about the ears, and this is a good time to do it.




Finally, I would like to point to this neat technique for modeling the second ear on a head, using a mirror. This was mentioned in Berit Hildre's book. The ear in the mirror even faces the same way as the second ear.




A year ago I did a Mouth Modeling Exercise from Berit Hildre's book. I am going to do similar practice exercises for each of the details of the face and head.




This is a final photo of the oil-clay practice ear, after doing a bit more modeling on it, and brushing it with an old toothbrush. It was taken without using the camera's flash.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.