Thursday, June 21, 2012

04 Modeling Nº 90




I started working on the oil-clay practice nose block form by using a pointed wooden tool to make two nostrils, one on each side of the septum. I used the blunt end of the tool to push out the wings of the nostrils from the inside. Then I defined the septum. After that, I smoothed the edges of the various planes. Finally I checked for symmetry and smoothed out tool marks. Click on the image to enlarge it.



While looking for references to nose muscles, I found this very interesting web site about facial expressions which I think is an interesting art anatomy tool. The site is called ARTNATOMIA. The online version is free to use. There is also an offline version of the program available for download, for a payment. I did not spend too much time playing with it, but I will probably go back again when I have more time to do so.

I have a book by Stephen Rogers Peck, titled Atlas of Facial Expression (NY: Oxford University press, 1987.) which is pretty good, but ARTNATOMIA seems like a much better tool because it is interactive.

SCULPTING EARS is a very detailed step-by-step tutorial of how to go about modeling ears in polymer clay. I have seen this sculptor's work at a doll show, and it is very good. His name is Mark A. Dennis, and he has also written a good looking book, titled The Human Figure in Clay.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.