Wednesday, July 4, 2012

04 Modeling Nº 103




One of the things I must keep in mind as I model the figure in oil-clay, is also one of the things that is most difficult for a beginner; and that is, how the figure will be molded. Undercuts are probably one of the biggest problems encountered by beginners, when molding. As can be seen in the photo below, the nostrils are a major undercut area of the face. Click on any image to enlarge it.






To correct for undercut, I am filling in the nostrils with some small coils of oil-clay.






Here, I have used a small tool to blend the oil-clay coils into the nostrils. When I do this, I must try and see the oil-clay as cast carving wax. This is one of those things that can be only learned with experience.






The front view still shows that the major planes of the nose exist, but the nostrils have been filled.

Looking at this photo, it seems to me that the ears are too far back. This is something I will have to check again. I remember doing some fancy measurements to establish the position of the ears, but measurements are not always the way to go. Measurements can certainly be helpful, but they are not the last word. It is how the figure looks and feels that is the last word for me. I must admit that when I take these photos, I can see some things that I do not see when I am holding the head in my hand, and vice versa.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.