Saturday, July 21, 2012

04 Modeling Nº 120




From the knees to the shoulders. I added some coils to the shoulders where the arms meet the torso. This is a tricky area for me. The pectoral muscles and the deltoid muscles do some intersting things. I'm not sure if I got it right? Click on any image to enlarge it.






Then I blended the coils with a wooden rake tool. Add, blend, stand back and look, question what I did, do some research.... do a little more every day.



Rant-ON. Fortunately, this oil-clay is a very forgiving modeling material. I am guessing that is why Martha Armstrong-Hand recommends it for beginners. It is very plastic, and responds to my touch in an almost embarrassing way. Changes are easy. That is a good thing, because I usually get down to work on my doll after I've had a few glasses of Red.

The oil-clay differs from water-clay in that it never hardens. I could walk away from this figure for weeks or months, and come back to it, and it would not be hard. Also, the oil-clay is reusable. What this means is that after I have made molds of the oil-clay figure, I can use all of it to make another figure. And after making that figure, I can reuse it to make yet another, and so forth, for the rest of my sculpting life. I could will my studio oil-clay (and sculpture wax) to someone, and they could continue to use it, and reuse it for their whole life, and so on. Compare that to $10.00 to $12.00 per pound use-once-only Air-Dry clay over the period of several lifetimes.

The main thing to understand is that there is a trade-off for having a modeling material that is so easily manipulated and is reusable. It must be molded and cast in a more durable material to continue the work. The more durable material is carving wax. Carving Wax is also reusable. Carving wax is also tough enough to withstand elastic tensioning, which is necessary for designing articulated joints. The thing to understand here is that both the oil-clay and the carving wax are reusable. What this means is that I get the same results, in a way, that I would if I were using air-dry clay, except, I can reuse all my materials, over and over.

Okay, so Air-Dry clays are good for making a One-Of-A-Kind BJD. An oil-clay figure is too soft to make an OOAK BJD. And while carving wax is durable, I doubt that anyone would want to buy a carving wax BJD. So Air-Dry clay certainly has its place. Okay, Rant-OFF for today.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.