Sunday, August 12, 2012

04 Modeling Nº 142




I worked on the right shoulder with mold preparation at the top of my mind. I used my paring knife to make the cut between the arm and the torso more straight. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I also filled in on the arm, where the arm attaches to the torso. On the right side of the photo is the before, and on the left side of the photo is the after.






I did the same thing to the torso joint area. On the right side is the before, and on the left side is the after.






Now the right arm and the torso joint fits better.






I am thinking about modifying my modeling stand to give it a larger range of heights. This will involve cutting the outside black iron pipe (on the right side of the photo) a few inches shorter, and drilling a few more holes through the inside black iron pipe (on the left side of the photo. The inside black iron pipe fits snuggly inside the outside black iron pipe, allowing me to raise and lower the modeling stand. The nail is placed through the holes drilled in the inside black iron iron pipe to keep it at the selected height. The holes in the inside black iron pipe are about one inch apart, and are drilled completely through the pipe. The nail is a common 16p building nail.



The reason I want to do this modification is because of my experiences modeling this 70cm oil-clay figure. I think that having a larger range of heights will allow me to model another figure more comfortably.

I purchased the floor flange, bolts, nuts and washers, which attach the plywood modeling board to the inside black iron pipe, at my local hardware store. The piece of plywood was either purchased at a local building supply company, or I had it in my studio, I don't remember which. The outside and inside diameters of black iron pipe were purchased at a local plumbing supply company. The cast iron base was found at a local junk yard. I got the lead from a local service station that changes flat tires. I melted a bunch of lead weights used to balance automobile wheels. The hole in the cast iron base was much larger than the diameter of the outside black iron pipe, so I filled the space with molten lead. Lead can be melted in an old cast iron pot (327.5 °C, 621.5 °F).




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.