Saturday, September 8, 2012

05 Molding Design Nº 9




I ordered another 5 pounds of Moulage from DickBlick.Com. The reason I ordered more is because I am pretty certain that I will need more than the amount I have now, to make a moulage mold of the torso, which is quite a bit larger than the second version of the upper torso, which was modeled in sculpture wax. I saw in a previous post that I used 4.25 pounds of moulage to mold that upper torso. I figure that ordering more moulage was much less expensive than molding the torso in a plaster rough shell mold. The plaster cost $44.00 for a 100 pound (45.45 Kg) bag. The moulage costs $27 plus about $9 shipping and handling, for a total of $36 for a 5 pound container. Since the moulage may be reused, it is the better value. I will have a total of 12 pounds of moulage when the new container arrives.

While I am waiting for the moulage to arrive, I am going to try and show my thought process for designing a moulage mold for an arm, which is one of the smaller parts. Click on any image to enlarge it.



I have been trying to preserve this armature, so I made it so that the head, arms, and legs were removable. In other words, I did not have to cut any armature wires to remove the head and limbs from the armature. In the above photo, the armature wire of the arm has been covered with oil-clay.




One idea that I have for molding this arm is to make a one-piece block mold around the arm. To do that I want the arm to stand vertically. I am thinking of using the oil-clay covered armature wire as a support, embedded in the oil-clay spare. In the photos below, are rotated views of the arm, standing vertically, supported by the armature wire, embedded in the spare. The length of the arm, including the spare is 14 inches. I will make the cottle 15 inches tall. I will probably make an oval shaped cottle from cereal box cardboard, fastened together with masking tape.



The moulage will be poured into the cottle with the arm in this position. Then the mold will be cut with a mold knife along two sides. The mold knife creates registration keys, as well as the mold parting line. The oil-clay arm will be removed, then the mold will be put back in the cottle, with the spare at the top, and carving wax will be poured into the moulage mold.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.