Sunday, September 23, 2012

06 Waste Molds Nº 14




After coating the coddles I made yesterday with three coats of shellac, and letting them dry thoroughly, I am ready to start the clay build-up for the moulage mold of the oil-clay arm. I am using the green Roma Plastilina for contrast to the tan colored Prima Plastilina. The Roma contains sulfur, so it is not suitable for making a silicone rubber waste mold. I started out by using all the coils of clay that I had already made, by twisting them together and flattening them between two three quarter inch thick pieces of wood with another block of wood. When I ran out of coils, I used some of the practice facial features I had made when modeling the figure. In this photo, the flattened coils are shown in back of the mouth that I am getting ready to flatten. My mold is going to be 13 inches long by 4 inches wide. Click on any image to enlarge it.






The oil-clay mouth, flattened.






My coddles are almost four inches deep, so I made a little platform from some scrap wood, stapled and nailed together, to bring the clay build-up higher.






In this photo I have placed the clay build-up on top of the platform, and I am filling in holes and spaces between the flattened oil-clay coils.






Here I have clamped the coddles together, and am filling in with clay around the edges of the coddles.






Next, I removed the coddles and continued  filling holes and scraping with a plaster turning tool. Other tools that might be used to do this are a wooden or metal pottery rib, the edge of a piece of wood, or a paring knife, whatever you have handy.






This is the oil-clay arm, positioned on top of the clay build-up. I am now ready to trace around the arm, so I can remove about one half inch of the clay build-up, in the shape of the arm, in order to bury it about halfway into the clay build-up. I do not have to worry too much about getting an excat parting line because the moulage is semi-flexible.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.