Wednesday, September 12, 2012

06 Waste Molds Nº 3




Because moulage waste molds are alginate based, they will shrink over time. Therefore, it is necessary to cast the carving wax as soon as possible after making the mold. However, I am not going to go into detail about carving wax until the next series (07 Carving Wax). Previous posts about carving wax can be found using a search for the carving wax label.

My wax pot consists of an old aluminum pressure cooker pot that no longer has a lid or a handle, and an electric hot plate. I use an old pair of heavy leather gloves when handling my wax pot. I try to pour the wax into a smaller pot for pouring, if I can. Click on any image to enlarge it.






Here are the banded moulage molds poured with carving wax. I give the wax  some time to cool before removing the casts from the molds.






These are the cast carving wax hands beside the original oil-clay hands. These were good molds, so the casts have a minimum of flashing.






This is another view of the cast hands.



After the carving wax casts are removed from the moulage molds, I cut the moulage up into small chunks (no larger than 1/2 inch cubes) and put it back in sealed containers, to keep it from drying out. The whole idea behind using moulage waste molds is that moulage is reusable, so this is a very important step.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

4 comments:

  1. I am DYING to see this finished! Can't wait! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, danaealexandra !!!
    Martha's Method requires hard work, perseverance, and a little luck. But yeah, she's being molded in moulage and cast in carving wax !!! This is very exciting....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That moulage is really too cool that it can be reused and works so well. I thought it would be more complicated than that. I am the worlds worst plaster mold maker and I make the biggest mess! patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hot-melt moulage is reusable, and therefore is a very good choice for making waste molds for casting carving wax doll parts. After the carving wax doll parts are refined, then I will make the final plaster slip-casting molds. Plaster Mold Making is a Craft Skill, and requires practice to get good at it. Molding with Plaster can be messy, so be prepared ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.