Friday, September 14, 2012

06 Waste Molds Nº 5




The moulage has been melted in the double boiler, and it is being stirred with a spatula. I wait until the temperature is much lower before pouring. I test this by touching the sides of the pot with my hands. When I can hold my hands on the pot for a wee bit, then I think it is ready to pour. Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV). If you do not feel comfortable touching the pot, then use a thermometer. Click on any image to enlarge it.






Once poured, I cover the mold with a plastic bag and wait for the mold to set up. I touch the sides of the mold to test if the mold has set up. When the sides of the mold are cool to the touch, the mold has set up.







After the mold sets up, I cut it with my mold knife. My mold knife leaves  registration keys. It does not cut all the way through the mold. I pry the mold apart, and it splits along the mold knife cuts. The rest of the mold tears cleanly. I do all of this very gently. I am not in a rush. I would like to save my oil-clay original, if at all possible.






This is the oil-clay original, freshly removed from the moulage mold. I think it came out of the mold pretty good. I put it on its modeling stand, and set it out of the way.





Then I put the moulage mold back together and banded it securely with cardboard and masking tape. It is now ready to pour carving wax into. If I am not ready to pour carving wax into the moulage mold, I wrap it in plastic so it does not dry out.



The original cardboard coddle was very wet, so I reinforced it with some new cereal box cardboard around the outside, taped with masking tape.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

2 comments:

  1. Ok I understand this far so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you. If you have any questions, please ask. The main thing to understand about making sculpture is that you cannot make sculpture by reading alone. Practice making sculpture is the best way to learn how to do it.

    ReplyDelete

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.