Monday, October 1, 2012

06 Waste Molds Nº 21




The hot-melt moulage is ready to be poured into the coddles.






The hot-melt moulage has been poured into the coddles. The wire from the armature is sticking out of the moulage.






I use an electric motor with an eccentric disk on the shaft to vibrate the molding table while I am pouring the moulage. This vibrator was originally intended for pouring plaster, but it works just as well for moulage.






I cover the moulage with a plastic bag and wait for it to cool and set up.






I had to drill a new hole to let the wire come through.






I remove the coddles, and I put the custom coddle over the  first half of the moulage mold. This is the bottom of the scrap wood platform that the clay build-up rests on top of.






The bottom of the clay build-up.






The clay build-up is removed, revealing the oil-clay arm in the first half of the moulage mold. I add the other half of the spare, labeled R.






I put the end on the coddle, and band it. There is a gap.






I fill the gap with oil-clay so hot-melt moulage does not leak from the coddle.






I cover the first half of the mold with a plastic bag while the moulage for the second half of the mold is melting in the stainless steel double boiler. Do not melt hot-melt moulage in an aluminum container.






Once melted, I pour the second half of the mold, then cover it with a plastic bag to wait for it to cool and set up.






After the mold has cooled and set up, I take off the bands and remove the end piece. There is the spare. I use a fettling knife to trim the excess moulage all around the mold.






Opening the moulage mold reveals the oil-clay arm.






I remove the oil-clay arm, clean up the inside of the mold, then dab excess water out of the mold with bathroom tissue. Next I band the mold together. I use a side of the original coddle as a fourth side for this coddle.






I melt, then pour the carving wax. When the carving wax is thick enough around the walls of the mold, I pour the excess wax back into the wax pot. Then I take the casting, still in the mold, to the sink, where I fill the hollow casting with cool water to help the casting cool. Then I open the mold and remove the carving wax arm.






The moulage can be reused, so I save all the trimmings, as well as the mold, in order to chop it up and store it in Atlas Mason jars with tight fitting lids.






I put the carving wax arm in the sink, filled with cold water, to help it cool down some more.






If I do not have time to chop up the moulage, I store it in several plastic bags to keep it from drying out. Moulage must be kept moist in order to reuse it.



I now have five pieces cast in carving wax: the head, two arms, and two hands. The torso, two legs, and two feet still remain left to do.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.