Monday, October 8, 2012

06 Waste Molds Nº 28




I measured a leg and it was 3.125 inches at the thigh by 15.25 inches long. I found a scrap piece of one eighth inch thick paneling. The piece of paneling was cut 4.25 inches by 15.25 inches. Then I traced the outline of the leg on it. I traced the outline a little larger than the leg, which has wire armature sticking out of both ends. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I drilled a hole within the outline, then used a hand-held jig saw to cut out the inside of the outline of the leg. Then I cut some scrap pieces of wood to raise the leg outline three inches, and nailed the wood onto the outline.






This is an inside view of the outline.






This is the oil-clay leg inserted into the outline. I will fill the spaces between the leg and the wood with Roma plastilina.



This is the same principle as the clay build-up that I made for the arms and the feet, except that I am using a piece of scrap wood instead of clay. I do not have enough Roma plastilina to make a clay build-up for the leg. In the book Plaster Mold and Model making by Chaney & Skee, they call this type of build-up, a Plaster Build Up because they cast a slab of plaster to do the same thing. They also make the cut-out a little larger, then fill in the space between the model and the build-up with clay.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.