Saturday, October 20, 2012

06 Waste Molds Nº 40




I left the torso until last. I probably should have done it first. Why? Because I would have had enough carving wax to pour it all in one piece. I did some arithmetic to get a rough estimate of about how many cubic inches it would take to fill the whole torso. I kept it simple. The area of an oval is the long length multiplied by the short width, multiplied by eighty percent. Multiply the area by the height, and you get the volume, in cubic inches. I have two volumes, one for the upper torso, and one for the lower torso. Adding them together gives me the total volume. Like I said, this is a rough estimate. Click on any image to enlarge it.



Here is my arithmetic:
Upper torso volume = (4.75 X 3.5 X 0.80) X 7.0 = 93.1 cu.in.
Lower torso volume = (6.50 X 4.50 X 0.80) X 4.0 = 93.6 cu.in.
93.1 + 93.6 = 187.2 cu.in.

I need 187.2 cu.in. of carving wax to fill a whole torso with carving wax.





Before I did anything, I used the last two 14 oz. containers of Baby Talc, 14 oz. of paraffin, and 14 oz. of brown microcrystalline wax to make some more carving wax. This is a photo of the wax melting in the wax pot. I always melt the wax first, then I add the Talc and mix them thoroughly by stirring.



My recipe for carving wax is:

1 part paraffin
1 part microcrystalline wax
2 parts Talc


Since I am using a 14 oz. container of Baby Talc (from the Dollar Tree store) as 1 part, then each of my waxes also weigh 14 oz.




Once the carving wax is prepared and thoroughly mixed, I pour it into a water saturated plaster mold. When the wax in the water saturated plaster mold has set up enough, yet is still soft, I score it with my paring knife so it will be easier to break up into smaller pieces later on.



Once I had molded all the carving wax, I weighed all of it on a gram scale. I have 3540 grams of carving wax. It is not enough to pour the torso in one piece. One cubic inch of my carving wax weighs about 22 grams. 3540 divided by 22 is 161 cu.in. Looking back at my arithmetic, it looks like I will need about 187 cu.in. to fill the whole torso. 187-161=26. That is almost two cups of carving wax. There are 14.435 cu.in. in a cup.

I could go and buy another container of Baby Talc at The Dollar Tree, and make some more carving wax, but I also have other converns about molding and pouring the whole torso in one piece. One of my concerns is whether or not I have enough hot-pour moulage to make a two-piece mold of the whole torso. The other concern is weight. If I did use all the moulage I have, that would be a 12 pound mold. Add to that, 9 pounds of carving wax, and I would have to handle about 21 pounds of mold and molten carving wax to pour the whole torso. I am not sure I want to do that. I think it will be easier and safer to cut the torso in half, and make a mold for the upper torso, and another mold for the lower torso. I can always weld them together with my wax pen, after they have been cast in carving wax.

I am glad I took the time to figure this stuff out, rather than go to all the trouble of finding out the hard way that I do not have enough moulage to make a mold of a whole torso, or enough carving wax to pour a whole torso. Yeah, so this will take an extra couple of days to do, but that is okay.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.