Tuesday, October 23, 2012

06 Waste Molds Nº 43




I found a piece of scrap 1/2 inch thick plywood in my studio to make the coddles for molding the oil-clay torso pieces in hot-melt moulage. This piece of plywood is a low-grade C-D plywood. That means that one side is very rough, and the other side is a little smoother. I made the smoother C side of the plywood face inside the mold. I also used a scrap piece of 1x pine for the clamping edges. I used one inch long drywall screws to fasten everything together. I lightly sanded all surfaces to remove any loose splinters. I do not like to handle wood tools and get a splinter in my hand or finger. This photo shows the first coat of shellac applied to the inside face of the coddle boards. I will apply a total of three coats of shellac, letting each coat dry between applications. I will also sand each coat lightly with 100 grit sandpaper. Click on the image to enlarge it.



There are two coddle boards that are 9x9 inches, and two coddle boards that are 9x7 inches. That is large enough to surround the lower torso, so they will also work for the upper torso. The upper torso needs 9 inches of height to cover the piece with at least 1/2 inch of moulage. The armature wire on the neck of the upper torso will stick out of the mold. These molds are going to be one-piece moulage molds which will be cut with a mold knife after they set up.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.